Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's how the bottom looks, just if anyone is curious about this

IMG20240302173235.jpg

IMG20240302173239.jpg

Maybe it sucks air from those holes?
Here's mine for comparison same car only a manual.Looks to be the same parts.I wonder how this cvt cooler gets air .Maybe it works by convection only.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] 20240309_172901

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] 20240309_173005

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know about Chicago and what they do on their roads, but...

You are at about the same latitude as I am over here in Canada.

I have a 2016 sedan that never had any rust prevention treatment, and was driven 10K (miles) annually year-round. My province does salt the roads, which is not great.

I just had my car in to a next-level rust treatment / wax sealant / dry ice blasting shop. Literally they take the car apart and get at parts you will never see, unless you put your car up on a lift and take the panels off. It's not one of those cheap 30-minutes-while-you wait joints...

My car unfortunately had more rust than i had hoped...
I knew there was some rust on the sub-frames, but it was unfortunately a bit more extensive. I hope to post some of the detailed photos soon in a separate thread - the gentleman did an amazing job ....

All this to say, don't be so sure about your rust situation unless you have REALLY got into the car.

Honda service will NOT tell you ... never mind their 40 point inspection. Maybe if you ask them to evaluate this, or ask them to send you detailed photos, but I've been servicing at the dealers since Day 1 and nobody ever said squat about the state of my vehicle.
Was it as bad as on my Civic (have a look at the first post on this thread).

How much did you pay for the full service?

Looking forward to see some of the detailed photos.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Was it as bad as on my Civic (have a look at the first post on this thread).
How much did you pay for the full service?
I would say Yes, probably pretty similar on the body etc

My cost was $2300 plus 13% tax, so $2600 total (CAD) ... that's like just under $1900 USD

but I chose to spend extra to do more...

I don't feel comfortable sharing the detailed invoice, because prices may change in future, or would vary for each vehicles specific circumstances... but will outline the services I had done:

• Removal & Reinstall of Panels
  • Removel & Reinstall of Wheel Well liners
  • Dry Ice Blasting (2 hours)
  • Dry Ice Detailing of Engine Bay & Components
  • HoneySeal application - warrantied for 3 years
  • HoneySeal interior cavities (hood, doors, trunk)
  • HoneySeal Primer Coat (stop residual rust, convert to black protective polymeric)
  • HoneySeal Chassis Paint (e.g. iirc sure he did my subframes with these last two)
  • NVH Seam Sealant (3 tubes)
  • Not listed, but he is also coating some upgrade items to be installed later (list below)

A new car with no need for "restoration" and not opting for certain services would be significantly cheaper.

The nice thing about their products is that they don't screw up your seals, boots, rubber bushings etc. which is I guess pretty common with those typical "Oil" based rust solutions.

My photos once I get them, will probably look a little better "before hand" just because I have a complete replacement exhaust, 2/3 of which is now Titanium. The stock steel exhausts just get rusty AF.

On my upgrade path, the following under-car elements will also be replaced in near future.
  • all brakes
  • all wheel hubs, wheel studs
  • complete suspension -> coilovers

• ... following getting coated...
  • front lower control arms
  • all sway bars
  • all end links
  • Spoon stiff plate
So my primary goal was on protecting the chassis, and I think this has been achieved.
if they had been in business when I bought the car, I would have done it immediately.

If I buy another car in future years, they are definitely my first stop after driving off the lot.

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
A sample of Before & After photos from the work I had done at HoneySeal in Oakville recently.

The owner Jake is amazing.

If you own a vehicle anywhere near Ontario (or Alberta) and you "hope to keep it"...
Hope won't keep the rust from killing it... but HoneySeal just might, so get it done!

http://honeyseal.ca

Wax-based HoneySeal products will not destroy your rubber seals, will not drip all over your garage, and they do not put any holes in your car... instead they take the time to remove the panels, wheel well liners etc. You know, like a PROFESSIONAL. Also the protection should last years, and not come off in the first car wash...

Comparison 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7717 copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7993 copy

Comparison 2 - front sub-frame

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7705

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7992

Comparison 3 - rear angle

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7689

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust on the underbody after six years [photos included] IMG_7984

Jake had commented that the rear rocker panels areas were pretty bad. I didn't show those zoomed in photos, but you can look closer you can see ... Basically if it exists, it will rust. Unless it's titanium heh :thumbsup:

FYI @Unity Performance ~ some additional photos...

Last edited: