Never changed my brakes or rotors for 130k miles

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
My 2017 Civic Sport hit 130K miles driving mostly highway and I've never had the brakes changed or rotors serviced. I have new pads sitting in my garage, but the original pads still have nearly half of their padding left. As far as I can tell, brake performance has been the same. Should I just replace the pads regardless and maybe the rotors, or just drive it till they're at the point of need replacing?
Sponsored

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
My 2017 Civic Sport hit 130K miles driving mostly highway and I've never had the brakes changed or rotors serviced. I have new pads sitting in my garage, but the original pads still have nearly half of their padding left. As far as I can tell, brake performance has been the same. Should I just replace the pads regardless and maybe the rotors, or just drive it till they're at the point of need replacing?
They are wear items so if not worn - keep going.

But always keep up on fresh brake fluid and maybe upgrade to a DOT4 fluid to be safe. That's more time sensitive than the pads/rotors.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, please tell me you've at least changed brake fluid a couple times?

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
This is amazing and I envy you. I have never had to change pads-rotors on any car prior to my CTR, and these were cars I daily drove and had between 48 - 58k miles. I now drive mostly highway and hope these pads wear a little better.
If anyone has any feedback to prolong the life of the pads other than turning off the traction control, which I do, let me know--thanks.

OP
OP
jayzon831

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP, please tell me you've at least changed brake fluid a couple times?
I've done no brake-related maintenance to my car ever........
😬

Time to look up how to replace my brake fluid.

OP
OP
jayzon831

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is amazing and I envy you. I have never had to change pads-rotors on any car prior to my CTR, and these were cars I daily drove and had between 48 - 58k miles. I now drive mostly highway and hope these pads wear a little better.
If anyone has any feedback to prolong the life of the pads other than turning off the traction control, which I do, let me know--thanks.
Not sure if it's my driving habit or the pads, but I usually just lightly tap on my brakes, let off, and tap again to slow down and stop. I've always been paranoid of getting heat spots or warping my rotors, so I rarely slam or hold them if I don't have to.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've done no brake-related maintenance to my car ever........
So you don't follow the car's Maintenance Minder at all? Brake fluid will pop up every 3 years.

Oh yeah that's right no need to keep up on brake maintenance...:doh:

Zach1928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I am glad I found this thread.. I have 136k miles on my 2016 Civic and have yet to change the pads. Going to take it in to brake masters for a check up, but every visit to the shop in the last 7 years have not recommended new pads or rotors

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
They are wear items so if not worn - keep going.

But always keep up on fresh brake fluid and maybe upgrade to a DOT4 fluid to be safe. That's more time sensitive than the pads/rotors.
What is upgrading to DOT4 being safe from? All he is doing is highway commuting. Just refresh the Honda DOT3 every few years. Works great.

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Country flag
I am glad I found this thread.. I have 136k miles on my 2016 Civic and have yet to change the pads. Going to take it in to brake masters for a check up, but every visit to the shop in the last 7 years have not recommended new pads or rotors
I bought my car at 54k miles, and I have about 152k now, and I've never done any changes to my brakes, and I'm 100% sure they're the stock brakes/pads. I feel they'll start giving out soon, but I've not heard the annoying squeal when braking, nor does the car shake when braking. I feel like I should keep a brake kit in sight just in case they start to deteriorate anytime soon. I also don't trust myself to take apart the brakes so that's another reason why I never did any maintenance.

My car before this, was 2005 malibu that I've needed to change both the rotors and the pads about 3 times over the course of 2 years, so its odd that the ones I have, haven't shown symptoms of replacement.

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
What is upgrading to DOT4 being safe from? All he is doing is highway commuting. Just refresh the Honda DOT3 every few years. Works great.
DOT4 has higher boiling point so safer when you actually use the brakes. Slightly more frequent changes than DOT3 fluid but much more safety when using brakes and need them to stop you vs having a pedal that's mush and you go off the road.

Call it peace of mind.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
DOT4 has higher boiling point so safer when you actually use the brakes. Slightly more frequent changes than DOT3 fluid but much more safety when using brakes and need them to stop you vs having a pedal that's mush and you go off the road.

Call it peace of mind.
When is OP going to get the fluid hot enough to boil on a daily commute? DOT4 is for track use or extreme driving.

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
When is OP going to get the fluid hot enough to boil on a daily commute? DOT4 is for track use or extreme driving.
Extreme driving is anything spirited on shit calipers 😆 at least with dot4 he has the option to do a canyon run - on Dot3 he will boil his fluid on those tiny single caliper brakes in no time.

Like a condom, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plan ahead
Sponsored