Maintenance Minder after Oil Change

yanks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Country flag
I took my car to a Honda dealer for the 10K service. Right when I get back I noticed the B code was showing up. The Tech said he just forgot to reset it and reset it for me. Literally right after the A code then comes on. I read the manual and see B1 is Oil and Filter and A is just oil. I joked with the Tech and said I really hope my oil was actually changed and he obviously said of course and that he just forgot to rest the minder.

part of me is skeptical that my oil was even changed. I was going to bring it back to Honda but before I do, is there anything I should I know about the Maint Momder resets?
Sponsored

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
The maintenance minder is just a timer based on the miles you've driven since it was last reset.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why code A appeared so soon after B1.

If you really want to check your oil, take out your dipstick and compare against new, clean oil. It'll be pretty easy to tell if your oil is dirty/old.

Otherwise, you can always just change your oil on your own.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the MM is more than just a mileage timer. Not everyone has the same mileage when prompted to change oil, and Honda does not provide a maintenance schedule. My understanding is that the MM is tied into the ECU and it calculates multiple variables beyond just mileage. What all those variables are seems to be little bit of a Honda secret.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had the same thing with mine. I changed the oil a little while ago and cleared the maintenance minder and A showed right up again. I've just started to ignore oil minders and do my own changes at regular intervals.

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
I believe the MM is more than just a mileage timer. Not everyone has the same mileage when prompted to change oil, and Honda does not provide a maintenance schedule. My understanding is that the MM is tied into the ECU and it calculates multiple variables beyond just mileage. What all those variables are seems to be little bit of a Honda secret.
Because the timer is restarted from the last time it's been reset. Each code has an interval. It's not a schedule based on overall mileage, only from its last service/reset. But yes, it takes in more variables than just time and miles. You can find your oil life (and other service needs) in the settings menu on the touchscreen display.

And there actually is a recommended service schedule but only Honda techs get them.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And there actually is a recommended service schedule but only Honda techs get them.
I appreciate your input. Are you a Honda tech? I have seen a lot of people ask about the schedule in various places and yet I've never seen anything posted in reply. Can you share the schedule with the community? It would be a great service.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a buddy intern at Honda R&D, I'll try asking him to see if he still has any buddies that could send it to him.

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
I appreciate your input. Are you a Honda tech? I have seen a lot of people ask about the schedule in various places and yet I've never seen anything posted in reply. Can you share the schedule with the community? It would be a great service.
No, I'm not. I just came across it after searching for so long on when to replace my coolant. I'll try to look for it again and share it here.

Otherwise, the MM system tells you exactly what you need done and when to get it done, anyway.

https://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reactions: mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
This all hits on probably my number one Honda pet peeve. Honda says in the manual to get maintenance per the readings in MM. And yet the dealers in my experience ignore MM, and try to push maintenance at regular intervals (e.g. "get our 5000 mile service!"). And of course they try to lard on extra services that MM don't mention. I understand the process, that the dealers are in truth free agents who can do whatever they want, no matter what Honda's manuals actually specify. But I always thought that Honda dealers should be expected by Honda to provide service per Honda's own specs. If I'm due for the A1 service, I should be able to get what Honda says is the A1 service, and so on. Otherwise, why even bother going to the dealership for service? (And in reality I rarely do, but I probably will for my first service, which is coming up).

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
That link only tells us what the different letters in the MM stand for. It does not show an actual schedule. And that is because Honda does not have one published. They tell us that each car is different and the MM will decide when to perform the maintenance based on multiple factors, mileage being one of them.
Oh, yeah, I figured that wasn't what you were looking for, and tbh, I feel like the MM is just a marketing thing to maintain Honda's "bulletproof designs" but there really should be a schedule followed regardless of whether or not the ECU tells us. Still can't find it, I don't think it was on CivicX but the other 10th gen Civic forum.

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
I was mistaken. I just found it, and can't really post it here because I'll probably get banned if I do. But anyway, maintenance to a tech looks exactly as it does on the website. So I guess Honda really does just rely on the MM system.

P.S. You might be able to find it if you look up TechInfoBrowser, I didn't dig around much so I may have missed a few things. But all the maintenance secrets you need to know about your Civic is in there.
Sponsored