Lower battery voltage while driving (daytime only?) - time to replace battery?

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey all, just a quick question/interesting observation. I haven't paid attention to my battery voltage (via my Ktuner v2) until just recently, and I noticed that my battery voltage would drop to around 12.3-12.6(ish) while under throttle (light, heavy - any throttle level, really). Idling is fine though, around 14.4V(ish) (I can't recall the exact numbers atm of course haha, but definitely in the healthier 14V range).

However, it's been consistently running at the higher 14V(ish) levels at night when I am driving home from work. Under throttle, heavy or light, it would stay at a good 14V with no dropping at all. But a few times now, as long as I've observed the voltage the past few days, my daytime driving has been experiencing the lower voltages, around the 12V range. But at night, it would be back to normal.

I'm wondering if it's just a sign my battery is aging (it's been the same battery since late 2018 when getting my car new, so it's climbing to it's 4th year I suppose). But does temperature have to do with the marked difference in battery performance like seen above? The temperatures haven't been that drastically different between day and night, though.

I was hypothesizing that a colder temp would have been making a better contact for the battery with the wire/connections to the battery shrinking a little and having better contact. But I've tightened the connections very well yesterday during the day, with no difference in performance. Then later last night, the voltage was totally fine at the 14V despite the dropped voltage earlier in the day.

Is it simply just time to replace my battery? Has anyone else had an experience like this? And what is a generally normal/healthy voltage to have while under throttle/normal driving? (I see in searches it's at least the 12.6V range, but I am just confused with my experience being two ranges within the day, which is abnormal I'd think).

(Also, I've tested with AC on and off, music on/off, to see if the voltage would raise back up to 14V or anything, but it made no difference from what I've seen so far).

Thanks!
Sponsored

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
What the previous poster said is correct. The charging system is variable, and charges when needed. This will happen whether battery is new or old. Unfortunately, watching the voltage on Ktuner won’t tell you your battery is going bad. If you start getting occasional sluggish or hard starts, that is the sign to replace (or you could just buy a battery tester).

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Yes the charging system on our cars is pretty sophisticated compared to the motorcycle charging systems that we permanently installed onboard voltmeters on.

We were always trying to predict our next battery, stator, or regulator/rectifier failure.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes the charging system on our cars is pretty sophisticated compared to the motorcycle charging systems that we permanently installed onboard voltmeters on.

We were always trying to predict our next battery, stator, or regulator/rectifier failure.
Honda VFR? Pages and pages of Battery, R/R threads on VFR forums, LOL!

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Haha all good for the 'thread jack'! Doesn't bother me one bit :p

And thanks for the replies! It makes sense that the battery reading on the Ktuner wouldn't be the best indicator for if the battery is bad or not. My knowledge in battery/electric/circuits isn't the best yet, so I presumed a lower reading must've meant the connections were bad, or the battery dying. But I guess in this case, it implies the battery is just putting out less voltage, since the full voltage isn't needed. Is that generally correct?

Definitely wanting to learn more about circuits at some point, since I just could not wrap my brain around it in college physics lmao

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
Haha all good for the 'thread jack'! Doesn't bother me one bit :p

And thanks for the replies! It makes sense that the battery reading on the Ktuner wouldn't be the best indicator for if the battery is bad or not. My knowledge in battery/electric/circuits isn't the best yet, so I presumed a lower reading must've meant the connections were bad, or the battery dying. But I guess in this case, it implies the battery is just putting out less voltage, since the full voltage isn't needed. Is that generally correct?

Definitely wanting to learn more about circuits at some point, since I just could not wrap my brain around it in college physics lmao
Just to bring it back to us old guys talking about 90's Honda Bikes, the stator would produce as much voltage as it could, and the regulator/rectifier would change it to DC and then shunt off all the excess as heat in the R/R unit. That would generally not be good for the R/R. If the previous comments are right that the car can electronically control the alternator to not produce excess voltage, that is great!
Sponsored