Tgod288

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ext and 2014 civic lx
Country flag
Is it normal for a 4 year old civic to need an AC recharge?
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My 18-year old Mazda MPV minivan was traded in this year with fully-performing, ice-cold AC which has never been serviced in any way by me or anyone else. Original compressor, condenser, refrigerant, fans. And the AC was used a lot.
So no, it's not normal. It should not leak.

On the other hand, if the leak is very small, you can get by with recharging at least for some time.

JamieConway88

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FD2
I think it's up to your demand. If you use it a lot, it will be normal. If you do not use it regularly, check whether there is a leak in a hose, connector or other part of the system or not.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I think it's up to your demand. If you use it a lot, it will be normal. If you do not use it regularly, check whether there is a leak in a hose, connector or other part of the system or not.
Use a lot or not it is nothing to do with a low pressure. It is a leak or need a A/C service ; remove damp in system and recharge.
It is happened in our two toyota almost new many year ago. One service and A/C work for next 10 years

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends on how tight the system is. On my previous car, a 2008 Toyota, I've checked the amount of refrigerant that was still into the system after 8 years of service and over 100.000 miles. It lacked 15 grams, which was within the factory limit (+/- 30 grams under/over the 430 specified).
On the other hand, a 2010 Ford Fiesta lost 1/3 of it's refrigerant quantity in 6 years and a bit over 20.000 miles with no obvious leaks been discovered.
On the contrary. The systems that are used rarely tend to loose the refrigerant quicker over time. That's because the o-rings dry out and shrink, allowing the refrigerant (gas) to get passed them ever so slowly.
In a system that's being used often this happens only if something fails (a hose, a connection, etc.). The Fiesta i talked about is used as the secondary car, hence the amount of miles after all these years (now, after ~8 years it's at 25.000 miles). That also means it's AC system is being used far less than in the main car.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 18-year old Mazda MPV minivan was traded in this year with fully-performing, ice-cold AC which has never been serviced in any way by me or anyone else. Original compressor, condenser, refrigerant, fans. And the AC was used a lot.
So no, it's not normal. It should not leak.

On the other hand, if the leak is very small, you can get by with recharging at least for some time.
Your single vehicle experience does not apply to every vehicle ever. That being said, AC hoses like to develop leaks at some point due to pressure, weather, temps, and natural degradation of rubber. They are not meant to last forever. Be glad you don't have a condenser leak.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The AC/Condenser in these 10th generation Civics are already proven to be weak, faulty and underpowered for the car so having to recharge it after 4 years is not "normal" but it isn't uncommon either. Pretty much all the cars I have ever owned have never had to have the AC recharged after 4 years so it shouldn't be happening to your Civic.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
My '16 LX sedan has a tiny leak in the small tubing next to the "H" high pressure connection port.

There's a threaded joint there where two pieces of tubing are bolted together.

I can see a small buildup of black soot-like material on the wrenched connection and the tubing for an inch or so on both sides of the joint.

The refrigerant contains a small quantity of oil which likely attracts dust and soot.

Same thing happened to my old Accord around the "H" port. The port's schrader valve was leaking minute quantities of refrigerant. I had the valve replaced and all was good again.

My LX keeps me cool now but as it slowly leaks over time it will become inadequate.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Use a lot or not it is nothing to do with a low pressure.
It has. If the compressor is not working, the pressure in the system is lower (equal to the pressure in the can). The amount of refrigerant leaking through any hole obviously increases with pressure. The condenser is on the high pressure side.

Your single vehicle experience does not apply to every vehicle ever.
You missed the point. It applies to the actual question asked. One cheap car example proves that it is not rocket science to make an AC system which lasts through the entire life of a car. If Honda AC systems indeed often fail much earlier, it is not "normal", it is inferior enginering and/or manufacturing.
Ways to make the system last longer is to use more metal tubing instead of rubber, tougher and better protected condensers, etc.

Last edited:

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
The AC system is a closed system and should never leak, if it does leak the leak needs to be repaired evacuated and recharged. A system with r1234yf refrigerant can not be “topped off” the leak must be fixed first. At least that’s the requirement, you might find a shop that will top it off, but they can loose their license to purchase r1234yf if they’re caught doing that.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The AC system is a closed system and should never leak, if it does leak the leak needs to be repaired evacuated and recharged. A system with r1234yf refrigerant can not be “topped off” the leak must be fixed first. At least that’s the requirement, you might find a shop that will top it off, but they can loose their license to purchase r1234yf if they’re caught doing that.
You can recharge it yourself like any other single-component refrigerant, but the problem is that it has been artificially made expensive, so frequent recharging with a significant leak might not make sense from the point of view of price and hassle.
R1234 is often sold in retail for about $100 per pound. It is still less than half the price of silver ounce for ounce, so I guess it's not so bad...:rolleyes1:

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I presume this is for your 2014 Civic? No. It shouldn't be "normal", but as others have mentioned, time and use contribute to condition. In an apples vs orange competition, both my 2005 VW and 2005 Toyota lasted 12+ years and 200,000+ miles without AC system issues, which is why I would say this shouldn't be "normal" nowadays.
Sponsored