• MAF rescale ($100)

Results are only viewable after voting.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just looking for opinions on custom e-tuning and when it is time to shell out for one. Currently running TSP Stage 1 (non-Si) with no issues. Steady K.con and acceptable STFT/LTFT. Currently running a full 27WON catted exhaust. I have the 27WON FMIC, CAI, TIP, and Race MAF in transit/ready to install.

With that selection of mods, is it advisable to spend the 500 bucks at this point to custom tune? I'll probably get the 27WON W2 when it drops, which would mean having to pay again for another tune in the future. That money could probably be better used in the clutch/flywheel fund lol.

Another option is paying ~100 for a MAF rescale to make the most of the intake systems without the expense of a full custom e-tune. Is that the best way forward for now?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just my take but if you're investing in that many bolt ons, I think the additional money spent on a custom or e-tune is smart. Remember that the base/canned tunes were designed for a mostly stock setup.

The MAF scaling is a good idea but only a part of an overall tune design.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd agree I'd probably wait for the full tune until you're going from your mild-plus setup to something more wild... and likely reaching or exceeding 300 whp on that W2. It still may be a little ways off. That TSP tune is pretty proven to be good on a stock car but I wouldn't feel as good about it as you start stacking bolt ons on top of it... especially if you drive aggressively. I'd personally hold my ground... save and do intake/clutch/turbo/tune at the same time as a more 'sure thing' and not have to re-do tunes. If the clutch/turbo/custom tune are still many months or over a year away... I guess you could go ahead w/the remap.

I do think we've had a couple failures on TSP cars that had intake/exhaust/IC... though the variable of how they were treating their cars and whether there was some preexisting issue and it was just meant to be if it was pushed harder than stock regardless also makes nothing a sure thing.

The other thing to consider (though I don't know) is you may be asked to go WOT at lower RPMs to provide that data in datalogs that's going to make a smidge more power w/that different intake and your clutch may simply decide to say 'nope' and prevent a custom tune from being possible. My car has done fine on TSP w/it's stock clutch but it seems TSP + DP on the stock clutch and being OK is less common. I think the torque peak is just sharper/harder from having less restriction.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just my take but If you're investing in that many bolt ons, I think the additional money spent on a custom or e-tune is smart. Remember that the base/canned tunes were designed for a mostly stock setup.

The MAF scaling is a good idea but only a part of an overall tune design.
Thanks Mitch. You're probably right that it's worth the investment now. It's not a guarantee I will get a W2 depending on how life may evolve before that part is ready. I'm hoping the stock clutch can hold though.

I'd agree I'd probably wait for the full tune until you're going from your mild-plus setup to something more wild... and likely reaching or exceeding 300 whp on that W2. It still may be a little ways off. That TSP tune is pretty proven to be good on a stock car but I wouldn't feel as good about it as you start stacking bolt ons on top of it... especially if you drive aggressively. I'd personally hold my ground... save and do intake/clutch/turbo/tune at the same time as a more 'sure thing' and not have to re-do tunes. If the clutch/turbo/custom tune are still many months or over a year away... I guess you could go ahead w/the remap.

I do think we've had a couple failures on TSP cars that had intake/exhaust/IC... though the variable of how they were treating their cars and whether there was some preexisting issue and it was just meant to be if it was pushed harder than stock regardless also makes nothing a sure thing.

The other thing to consider (though I don't know) is you may be asked to go WOT at lower RPMs to provide that data in datalogs that's going to make a smidge more power w/that different intake and your clutch may simply decide to say 'nope' and prevent a custom tune from being possible. My car has done fine on TSP w/it's stock clutch but it seems TSP + DP on the stock clutch and being OK is less common. I think the torque peak is just sharper/harder from having less restriction.
Cheers Charles. I'm pretty gentle with my car usually, only really open it up on open highways or backroads. So far I'm not detecting any clutch problems, just hoping it continues to hold up for now... I'm willing to bet the W2 is at least 8 months away, maybe even a year. As I said above, who knows what could change for me personally in that time.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cheers Charles. I'm pretty gentle with my car usually, only really open it up on open highways or backroads. So far I'm not detecting any clutch problems, just hoping it continues to hold up for now... I'm willing to bet the W2 is at least 8 months away, maybe even a year. As I said above, who knows what could change for me personally in that time.
Honestly... I've contemplated getting a custom tune just being near stock... wondering if there's a bit more left on the table... though I doubt it's much. I think I'm in a safe spot now though. I don't have a lot of highway miles but 25k of my cars 27k miles have been tuned in some way... and the majority of those were on the TSP tune. I figure if it has worked for awhile... it'd unlikely to randomly stop working. Who knows if the different intake may be too much for you... but, you can always control the torque the car is making with that right foot of yours if the clutch doesn't like it at a certain spot in the low/midrange.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honestly... I've contemplated getting a custom tune just being near stock... wondering if there's a bit more left on the table... though I doubt it's much. I think I'm in a safe spot now though. I don't have a lot of highway miles but 25k of my cars 27k miles have been tuned in some way... and the majority of those were on the TSP tune. I figure if it has worked for awhile... it'd unlikely to randomly stop working. Who knows if the different intake may be too much for you... but, you can always control the torque the car is making with that right foot of yours if the clutch doesn't like it at a certain spot in the low/midrange.
My right foot has been working for me so far haha. At this point I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and throwing on my bolt-ons and getting the custom tune. Hope the stock clutch holds and deal with the turbo/clutch situation when/if it transpires.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My right foot has been working for me so far haha. At this point I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and throwing on my bolt-ons and getting the custom tune. Hope the stock clutch holds and deal with the turbo/clutch situation when/if it transpires.
It's a wise move. Everything I've read has said as good as the base tunes are, they don't hold a candle to a well designed custom tune. Not only can your tuner design a tune so parameters like fuel trims are good with your setup, they can also tailor it to how you drive. It's a big expense though, no doubt.
Sponsored