I got another Vivid Dream civic idea but hear me out

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
My buddy, with means, wanted to convert his Mustang GT into a GT350 - Did it ever happen? No. Does he have a GT 350 rear end sitting in his yard? Yes. Is it funny? Also, yes.
I've had the front cut of an EP3 Type-R in my garage for 12 years. I feel your buddies pain. :D
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
is the 10th gen just one of those cars that are difficult to do stuff to because the tech and expenses
Getting all the modules to work happy in different cars is a pain, plus the FK8 has a lot of bespoke parts + additional chassis reinforcements. Back in the 8th gen Si, the parts easily swap and you just need a flashpro to tune an Frankenstein engine. Check out what Speed Academy did with their Civic SI. They got a hybrid k24/k20 and supercharged it, plus lots of other mods

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So someone brought it up to me that instead of making the type r wagon I should instead think of doing a 10th gen civic coupe type r but the only issue I’m looking at is the unreal prices for civic si in my area atleast

I have a 2016 Honda civic ext coupe in Aegean blue I really like the color and it only has 77k miles

I'm seeing some civic si 2018-2020 80k+ miles all for 20k plus I got my ext with about 45-50k miles I can’t exactly remember. I got it 2 years ago wen the car market was extremely expensive for 20-21k I put 3k down for 4 years with I believe a 3.5 apr rate

I’m saying all that to say if after the 2 years of me paying the car off or if I pay it off 1 more year should I get an si to do the type r treatment on it or do it on the ext I know for a fact my car isn’t gonna be worth much and I’m done with it I can probably get at best 10k on the street/Facebook but that’s if I’m lucky

so would it be worth it to spend the 5k to manual swap my car instead of having to put up another 10k for an si to start the type r conversion I’m not sure if the si is still gonna hold its value as good but for it be 4+ years old with that high of miles it ain’t depreciate much.
Considering you probably owe close to $10k on a used 2016 model, I wouldn't then dump $5k+ to convert the CVT to 6mt lol. And do you have a 2nd car if this becomes your project car? Something else to think about...

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
New Britain Connecticut United States Of America
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe EX-T
Call me stupid but instead of these daily fantasy ideas you're coming up with, why not consider this idea ...

An EX-T coupe is a decent base to create a really fun car.

Get yourself some nice lightweight 18" wheels. For example the Enkei tuning series. Add a quality tire like a Conti DWS06+. Purchase a bigger aftermarket rear sway bar.

Get a KTuner. I prefer the V2 touchscreen model. The Phearable 1.5R will give you a huge bump in power and fun. Upgrade the intercooler and add a 27Won or PRL intake.

Optionally, throw on some cosmetic mods you like. A front lip and rear spoiler would be a good place to start.

At that point, with about $3-4K spent you'd have a helluva nice car that would be a cut above.

Or go your fantasy route. Drain you bank account. Potentially get in over your head and create headache and heartache.

Look, there's nothing wrong with being a dreamer. But you need to decide if all the potential nightmare scenarios are worth it versus the sure thing.

For the average Civic owner, I think these grand conversion ideas are silly. On the other hand if someone has an abundance of money and can afford to throw away a lot of it without blinking, sure go for it.

The other option is to save up your money for a few years and enjoy your Civic for the reliable econobox it is. When your car is paid off and you've save some money, trade it in for a Type R or some other fun car you like

Yep. My sentiment exactly. But for anyone tight on money --- it's reality check time.
That’s the plan for right now. but I like having something to possibly look forward to or just have the idea out here just for memory sake my brain moves at like 100mph every minute thinking about stuff so I try to right it down but if I write down so only I can see then that only helps me but so for example if someone had the same idea or felt the same way or had the same question but never bothered to ask I’ll be that person to look dumb and kinda embarrass myself to be able to get those questions that I’m curious about answered

It’s always ur choice to respond the obvious thing is that it’s never cheap to make ur dream build no matter what it is if u want to restore a 69 camero have it have great paint and a fast engine that’s expensive if u want to wide body the new Prius or the Toyota crown to make it an vip type build for the 5k in wheels 15k in suspension another 5k in paint but these r just questions that I have to maybe make someone else that had the same question but thought it was to dumb to ask feel more motivated to ask these out of box questions

And in my post u can tell which ones are genuine questions and others that r just out of box ideas to see the possibility of it or see how many people would want to see it happen. The treads I post asking for budget mods and tires is the more realistic questions bcuz that’s something I can do as soon as possible I’ve made a thread asking about tires I should get bcuz someone brought to my attention that the tires I’m currently running wasn’t a good setup. but that’s what I mean by those threads my intentions with these threads are that the out of box ones are just idea that could possibly be made but the ones with questions of mods I should get is something I want to do to my vehicle and make it really fun.

And with posting the wild ideas that’s with me having tons of money or having enough money for it which is always a what if but I’d like to have the resources for the potentiality of it. But my first project is gonna be getting a manual car like an older civic or Acura with an engine or without and putting an engine into the mine engine one but that’s gonna be a dream project bcuz ima do it with my dad too bcuz he wants to get a little manual car to teach me how to drive manual.

I kinda went on a tangent here. but all that to say I appreciate u gt man ur wanna of the ones that comment the most on my threads so wen I do make one of these dream builds you’ll be the first to see or hear of it or if we build a friendship in person or online you’ll get to see and drive it in person and that’s to anyone that comments on my post I appreciate any feedback comments other possible ideas or sources to help make it possible.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering you probably owe close to $10k on a used 2016 model, I wouldn't then dump $5k+ to convert the CVT to 6mt lol. And do you have a 2nd car if this becomes your project car? Something else to think about...
At the time I would have a second car but it’ll be something in the future to worry about my main concern for this year is getting a better tire setup better suspension and just having fun with the car

Supersuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R; 2018 Honda Civic LX Sedan
I'm doing a full CTR swap into my 2018 LX Sedan with manual trans and 2.0NA. I purchased all the components I needed from a crashed 2018 Type R for $6000. I literally stripped the entire car including all hardware, wiring harnesses (Engine & Body), suspension, etc. and will be fitting everything onto the sedan. I haven't started yet since I want to finish my 2012 mini cooper k24 swap first. Once thats done, the civic gets put on the lift and everything swapped out.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
One thing to look into is that the front end suspension of the Type R is engineered completely different than the other civics plus the hubs are 5x120 with 14mm wheel studs instead of the 12mm standard Honda ones.

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
So someone brought it up to me that instead of making the type r wagon I should instead think of doing a 10th gen civic coupe type r but the only issue I’m looking at is the unreal prices for civic si in my area atleast
Just buy a Type R and never look back. Save yourself the heartache of spending all that money for next to nothing.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just buy a Type R and never look back. Save yourself the heartache of spending all that money for next to nothing.
I appreciate the feedback. But I went to a big car show around where I live and spoke to someone that drag swapped his crx and spent over 100k on it and he said he didn’t make it for himself he made it for everyone else to watch it be dragged or see it at a car show. That’s what I would do if I made a type r coupe I’ll be making it for it to be on all the Honda pages, magazines, and just go to car shows and talk to people about how difficult and expensive it was. At the end of the day I know that I made some people happy and inspired some one else to chase there dream.
Because when I have the money to do it for the most part I’ll be wanting extra exposure for people to help if they want to or sponsor me to get the parts to do it as well. I’ll probably get a type r before doing it so I’ll be able to dial it in even more to have it feel exactly like a CTR.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Most of the people here are trying to reason things out for you from their experience/knowledge.

Listen or not; your choice.

You do you. Just don't expect Everyone to agree.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
That’s what I would do if I made a type r coupe I’ll be making it for it to be on all the Honda pages, magazines, and just go to car shows and talk to people about how difficult and expensive it was
I think this bit finally puts words to what's been putting me a little off here too. In your comparison, the only thing the guy you met said was that he made it so people could see and enjoy it. But you then follow it up with a much less altruistic goal, where you want it in the magazines, on all the Honda pages, you want to be able to talk about how much work went into it. It really seems less like it's about making the car and more about what it brings you. You've also been talking a lot about how it'd be worth it if it brough in a YouTube following and sponsors. Most car YouTubers who started small will be heard saying "I never in a million years thought I'd be able to do this for a living, I'm so grateful" but it seems to just be your goal.

Not to say you can't make decisions based around whatever goal that you have. Just don't expect everyone on an enthusiast forum to match your level of fame hunting. We tend to do it for the love of the game, and whatever else comes is a bonus.

I also apologize up front if it feels like I'm ragging on you. You sound like a great dude with a lot of passion, I'm just trying to put some context to why you may be getting some of the responses you are.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this bit finally puts words to what's been putting me a little off here too. In your comparison, the only thing the guy you met said was that he made it so people could see and enjoy it. But you then follow it up with a much less altruistic goal, where you want it in the magazines, on all the Honda pages, you want to be able to talk about how much work went into it. It really seems less like it's about making the car and more about what it brings you. You've also been talking a lot about how it'd be worth it if it brough in a YouTube following and sponsors. Most car YouTubers who started small will be heard saying "I never in a million years thought I'd be able to do this for a living, I'm so grateful" but it seems to just be your goal.

Not to say you can't make decisions based around whatever goal that you have. Just don't expect everyone on an enthusiast forum to match your level of fame hunting. We tend to do it for the love of the game, and whatever else comes is a bonus.

I also apologize up front if it feels like I'm ragging on you. You sound like a great dude with a lot of passion, I'm just trying to put some context to why you may be getting some of the responses you are.
It makes sense on how it sounds but I’m doing it for my passion of cars. Its been my dream to rebuild a vehicle with it either being me building a car up to a certain point or getting a destroyed car and doing it. I just added on with the YouTube because people would say that unless I’m doing for that reason there’s no point in doing that into a car it’ll bring me a whole bunch of headaches and problems and cost a lot I know that going into it. I obviously don’t know that exact problems I’ll encounter but I know for a fact there’s gonna be hardships and I said in my previous post with the CTR wagon idea I would make the videos for anyone else that had the same idea or was interested in how I did it. Blowing up on social media is more luck based then having the best build being the most entertaining or doing the best stuff on your channel. So if my intentions with the videos aren’t coming from me wanting to show other people how a dream that they have can be made even wen everyone rationalizes it and says don’t do it or says your an idiot for doing it. That’s why it’s a dream, its something that someone can not imagine happening or being possible but you make it happen for having the will, patience, and time to stick it out. some people don’t make there dream builds because they unfortunately pass away.

All that to say my intentions with the magazines, pages and YouTube isnt for fame it’s for other people with silly or stupid ideas to go out and do it no matter what people say about the build or dream. That’s what I’ll say and push while making the videos that’s it’s not coming from me wanting fame I just had a crazy idea and something that I’m passionate about so I decided to spend the money and time to do it. I’m not fame chasing just putting exposure out there for other people with the same crazy ideas I have, to not listen to people and do what you want to do no matter what the dream or idea is. That’s why it’s a dream build it’s not my realistic build it’s my dream build some peoples dream cars are McLaren p1s and for the regular automotive tech or big paying career guy that p1 is no where near being able to be bought because it’s a dream. The dream build might not happen because financially or because I don’t live forever. I can’t right now and I don’t know what the future holds so until I’m able to get closer to that objective it’ll stay a dream until I start the build.

But I just want people to stop suppressing there ambitious dreams and ideas by being discouraged by the rational of it or people saying it doesn’t make sense to do it. Obviously financially that can stop someone but if they have the passion for it and know how to spend your money then they’ll know what to do with each paycheck or how to advance with relationships with other people and connections to get parts and a more affordable price. So that’s my goal with making the videos, making pages, and getting talked about, to show more people to not suppress there dreams because it’s not realistic if it’s your dream build you’ll make it work to feel that accomplishment of your build.

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Chasing clout will just leave you broke but I get it - it's the youtube builder generation.

My build is as close to avg Joe as possible to help others build for less and avoid the mistakes I made that ended up costing me money so it doesn't cost them what it cost me.

Blowing 100k on a civic coupe for attention will most likely end in ridicule vs admiration or inspiration. Hondas were always popular for doing more with less....not spending more to achieve less.

Honda will sell you a car and offer full track support for less money

https://dreamshop.honda.com/s/product/honda-civic-type-r-tc-race-car/01t6g000005Hv4IAAS

They used to offer Si coupes and were the first to offer a coupe with a K20c1 mounted and wired in. So you'll never be the first to do any of that anyway.

Honda engineer was the first to do it and then Honda offered a crate engine package with controls for about 9k which is pretty cheap.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2017-honda-civic-si-achieving-the-inconceivable/

Here's the vid of what they were doing 4+ years ago

So your "dream" has already been accomplished years ago by people with the budget to execute - their results were sub par which is why Honda offers the TCR Type R (225k) and the TC race car (89k) - you get much better results, engineered by Honda, in a proven track package. The 10th gen coupe was shelved after the Type R released and broke track records.

This "dream" is purely an aethstetics thing whenever I hear it - but taking a step back and considering function, performance, cost ....makes no sense. It's akin to doing something just to do it and it's already been done.

If you want to blow a bunch of money you don't have on a toy - have at it. People here are trying to save you from regret with 0s attached to it.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chasing clout will just leave you broke but I get it - it's the youtube builder generation.

My build is as close to avg Joe as possible to help others build for less and avoid the mistakes I made that ended up costing me money so it doesn't cost them what it cost me.

Blowing 100k on a civic coupe for attention will most likely end in ridicule vs admiration or inspiration. Hondas were always popular for doing more with less....not spending more to achieve less.

Honda will sell you a car and offer full track support for less money

https://dreamshop.honda.com/s/product/honda-civic-type-r-tc-race-car/01t6g000005Hv4IAAS

They used to offer Si coupes and were the first to offer a coupe with a K20c1 mounted and wired in. So you'll never be the first to do any of that anyway.

Honda engineer was the first to do it and then Honda offered a crate engine package with controls for about 9k which is pretty cheap.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2017-honda-civic-si-achieving-the-inconceivable/

Here's the vid of what they were doing 4+ years ago

So your "dream" has already been accomplished years ago by people with the budget to execute - their results were sub par which is why Honda offers the TCR Type R (225k) and the TC race car (89k) - you get much better results, engineered by Honda, in a proven track package. The 10th gen coupe was shelved after the Type R released and broke track records.

This "dream" is purely an aethstetics thing whenever I hear it - but taking a step back and considering function, performance, cost ....makes no sense. It's akin to doing something just to do it and it's already been done.

If you want to blow a bunch of money you don't have on a toy - have at it. People here are trying to save you from regret with 0s attached to it.
Tbh this is something I would think about doing in 5-10 years not anything close. I know I wouldn’t be the first to do it but I would do different than just saying what I’m doing to the car then doing it. I would try to connect with people, tell them why I’m getting into this dumb project and my history with cars and the reason I’m passionate about cars and have an actually audience I wouldn’t just be someone that just got the money and built it.

So once I pay off my car that’s when I’ll start pushing power out the L15 and have more fun with the car. If or when I get the time and money to make it reality I will but for now I’m just focusing on making the best out of the car and platform I have right now. I make these crazy out landish threads just to see the feedback and see if anyone has done it or thought of doing and obviously you’ve said someone has. I also don’t have the best memory so if I have an idea and don’t write it somewhere I’ll forget and I said to myself why not post it in a 10th gen Civic Forum to see the feedback.
Sponsored