Giulia owners make poor excuse saying redline is the reason they have poor 100 - 200 kph times compared to a Civic...?

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Okay... let's get real. There are many variables as to why a car in general does not perform well (engine design, tranny, gear ratios... driver =)) 100 - 200 kph. The Giulia 2.0t Q2 is ~ 15.8 seconds (according to fast laps) and the Q4 16.4 seconds. But if that were the case, all cars with ~6000 rpm redlines (giver or take 200 rpms) would perform poorly mid to top-end. I'd like to hear some technical views about this and why a "low redline" is a poor excuse as to why a car has a poor 100 - 200 kph time (or 60 - 130mph). Tired of hearing ... "well you have a 7000+ rpm redline..." or VTEC & Turbo blah blah blah as an excuse. Don't see the e.g., Camaro SS's complaining about their 6200 rpm redline ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Gearing is why.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Head porting design can also affect powerband

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
love the looks of the Alfa though. Sharp looking car.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Not all engines are designed for high reviving. Even if you add supporting mods to safely increase a motor’s redline, that alone doesn’t guarantee more power made or being carried higher in the power band.
Now there are some motors that take well to mods and gain power way up top, so much so that it may be beneficial to increase the redline in order to take advantage of more power. Power that wouldn’t be used or noticed if redline wasn’t touched. Increasing redline with no change in power or if there isn’t any more potential power to be had by raising the limit, does not equate to a faster car normally. If power begins falling off well before redline, than it may be beneficial to upshift earlier than redline so you can get back into the meat and potatoes of your power band. Increasing the redline in this situation would just mean you’re outside the fun part of the power band for longer which can be lead to slower times. I don’t know much about those alfas so I can’t say if the post’s title is wrong or right.

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Not all engines are designed for high reviving. Even if you add supporting mods to safely increase a motor’s redline, that alone doesn’t guarantee more power made or being carried higher in the power band.
Now there are some motors that take well to mods and gain power way up top, so much so that it may be beneficial to increase the redline in order to take advantage of more power. Power that wouldn’t be used or noticed if redline wasn’t touched. Increasing redline with no change in power or if there isn’t any more potential power to be had by raising the limit, does not equate to a faster car normally. If power begins falling off well before redline, than it may be beneficial to upshift earlier than redline so you can get back into the meat and potatoes of your power band. Increasing the redline in this situation would just mean you’re outside the fun part of the power band for longer which can be lead to slower times. I don’t know much about those alfas so I can’t say if the post’s title is wrong or right.
Correct. It's about knowing your car and keeping it in the optimal power band.

This is not your typical over-square motor. It has a longer stroke than bore, which is quite unusual in this time of lower emissions. Under-square engines are typically tuned to exhibit peak torque at lower RPM than an over-square engine due to their longer crank throw and high piston speed at high RPM. Some cars need to be revved higher to take advantage of that extra power though which is immediately available to the Giulia. But, even with mods, the Alfa still falls flat after 100 mph even in its optimal power band compared to similar 2.0T cars. Could be the gearing, could be the engine design or both. To me though, redline is a poor excuse for losing a race or poor track times. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Nightshifter

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
love the looks of the Alfa though. Sharp looking car.
They have some great deals on the 2021's which is what got me curious about this car. I mean like 8 - 10k off new 2021 Ti Q2's. I was thinking of getting one as a project car, but I"m not liking the #'s based on mods on how this car responds. Gottuned 400HP Turbo Kit yields 60 - 130 in 13.7 seconds? blahhh! Already my CTR stock did better than that =) Then there's the reliability issue that plagued this car in the earlier years. Also looking at a 2023 Nissan Z ... but we all know where that MSRP is heading =D
Sponsored