Dirt collecting in door frame

torka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
I have been having a problem lately where dirt is collecting all around the door frames and in the hatch. In the gap that was seemingly neglected when Honda was deciding where to put the weather stripping.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dirt collecting in door frame IMG_20170918_175314034[2]

It seems like every time there is rain or dew or dust it gathers in these places and even going through a car wash doesn't take care of it.

Its not the biggest problem right now, its just a bit annoying to clean, but soon it will be salt and dirt instead of just dirt.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone tried sealing it off with more weather stripping?
Sponsored

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had my wrx a few years ago it was very bad for this too. I got rally armour mudflaps (typical subie guy lol), and it basically stopped all the dirt from getting in the door jam and door sills. I'm thinking about going that route again since my hatch is very bad for it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The 9th sedans do the same thing with dust, not so much with moisture or salt - Honda mud-flaps don't help.

OP
OP

torka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
None of my prior vehicles had this problem (7th gen civic, '05 focus, '94 corolla, '81 626) with one exception. My 7th gen civic was about as bad, maybe even worse at collecting leaves just under the hood and trunk, but none had dirt.

I dont think mudflaps would help, because its not just around the bottom near the sill, its all around the circumference.

I imagine that if I did apply more weather stripping, at least in the side gaps in the doors, it should help. I just figured I'd check here to see if anyone had any recommendations.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah, that's not really anything new. After a wash, I always open the door/hatch/hood and clean all the undersides of it with a quick detailer and a quick wipe. I use a paint sealant on the jambs which makes cleaning them very easy.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I got some rubber weatherstripping at the home center, the kind with the peel off sticky backing, and cut it to length and stuck it to the outer contour of the door frame in the car body, just outside the area where you're getting water and dirt, and it worked perfect. They've got all different sizes of it, so just a matter of looking at your door frame and figuring out how wide and tall you need it to be.

slrosenfeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, red
Country flag
I got some rubber weatherstripping at the home center, the kind with the peel off sticky backing, and cut it to length and stuck it to the outer contour of the door frame in the car body, just outside the area where you're getting water and dirt, and it worked perfect. They've got all different sizes of it, so just a matter of looking at your door frame and figuring out how wide and tall you need it to be.
Hey David--seems like a great idea. Any problems with the weatherstripping coming loose? Could you maybe post some pics?Anybody else try this? I sure wouldn't mind not having to clean those sills all the time.
Sponsored