• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cvt vs 6spd lsd winter

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
So I found two gray A specs
24 A spec cvt 33,795
24 A spec Tech/6sp 38,295
I live in rochester,ny so we typically get a lot of snow(think buffalo is you’re not familiar with rochester). Is the 6spd with lsd worth the extra $5,000 for snowy weather or will the cvt be fine? Both of these cars would have snow tires so that’s a given. I like the idea of driving a 6spd but if that lsd isn’t very helpful in the snow then I’m not sure if it’s worth that extra money. I can live without the E stereo and adjustable dampers. Thanks.
I had a 2017 Sport hatch 6mT and then a 2020 Si, the Si was better in the snow with the LSD, but the hatch was perfectly fine as well, so I wouldn't buy it just for snow driving.

The Si was horrible in snow with the stock all season tires though. :D

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The tires on my Type S are so wide, I've barely got them to spin at all yet.. but in my Si the LSD only functions (noticeably, on dry pavement) when accelerating hard in a turn. It's the traction control software taking over and limiting engine speed until it senses some traction has been caught by the tires and it will slowly fade out until Im back in full control.

Even with winter tires, if you're stuck on snow deep snow coving a layer of ice and decide to turn traction control off, you'll sit there and smoke your tires all day, LSD isn't doing anything to get you moving. Crank the wheel all the way, you should get balanced power to both wheels, but this isn't what its intended for, and I doubt it would be useful.
My sport hatch would spin tires all the time (Michelin AS3+) especially in the rain, like turning onto a road from a stop sign. The LSD works the same in the snow, providiing more traction while turning, which is where you often need it driving in snow.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the 6MT and drove it in some snow/ice this year, from everything I experienced the diff was absolutely worth it. It's also nice to have just in wet weather use, with the open diff civics if you punch it at low speed in a corner it just spins the inside tire; not a problem I have experienced with the Torsen diff up front.
Yeah, the Civic ST hatch would be sweet but I can't stand the open diff Civics.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I didnt really notice the LSD in the snow we got last winter. It maxed out at only about 4" while I had the car. It was higher while getting warranty work and I was driving a SHAWD MDX loaner (super fun in the snow). In dry and wet conditions I can definitely feel the LSD working compared to open diff fwd vehicles I've had in the past. In the snow, the front end felt relatively light in the integra compared to say the 06 MCS I had and I think that came down to the integra having a lighter (aluminum) engine than the old iron lump in the MCS.

FANG-CHING LIN

First Name
LIN
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic fc
LSD for CIVIC X/XI 1.5T CVT transmission
This is what you've been waiting for - a high-quality Honda CVT LSD at an affordable price.
This CVT LSD is precision machined from high strength forged chromium steel for added strength and durability.
This is a real quality product that puts power to the ground and maximizes your vehicle's traction.
Kit with two new differential bearings
mmexport1710931096451.jpg

mmexport1710931103022.jpg