Bad Type R buying experience...

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Ill start by saying I fully understand that Covid 19 has changed the way dealerships operate but man oh man am I having a fun time with this Type R buying process.

My family has bought 4 Hondas within the last 3 years (not from this dealership) so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works and have been extremely satisfied with the way things went with those other Honda deals

jan 15th - Walked into my local Honda dealership (first time in this one) and inquired about returning my Lease on a Civic Hatch and rolling over the negative equity onto a 2020 type R. They appraised my hatch, made me an offer which I was given an extremely lowballed offer but understood because I am turning my hatch lease 3 years lease early.

Letting them know I was ok with the negative equity, they proceeded to order a 2020 type R for me and gave me an expected delivery date of April 2020. I made a deposit on the car that day and was excited for April to roll around.

Late March - Gave the dealership a call to see what the update was and how long my Type R would be delayed, They gave me a Honda order report which said my Car was delayed due to Covid and would arrive in-between May 8th-14th. Understood, walked away from the interaction a happy customer.

Here's where things start getting frustrating

Early May -
Called the dealership to get updates on the car, the front reception would just give me the "Honda has paused all manufacturing due to covid 19, blah blah blah" I would reply by saying Ive already received a VIN from the dealership so my car has already been manufactured... reception obviously had no idea what she was talking about and didn't look into the situation at all.

Went into the dealership 2 or 3 times to talk to one of the people ive been in touch with (manager of finance) there regarding interest rates/finance vs lease.

1. Every time I went in I would be told to wait because people are "in meetings" and I would see the people I was asking to talk to walking around doing nothing lol...they would tell me to wait 25-30 min before I can talk to someone

2. When I finally got face to face with this finance manager (this happened atleast 2 times) he would try his best to shoo me away as soon as possible and leave me with the "we cant discuss any details about the deal until the car is here physically, Literally a waste of my time to drive all the way to the dealership and get no details in return.

June 9th - Car finally arrived! Great, I was willing to bypass everything and just be happy that my car arrived.

My sales rep calls me saying the car arrived, I asked if I could come work out the details of the deal and he said no because they still have to do some freight and PDI stuff. Ok, I asked "can I atleast come see the car?" He said yes 100%, I went to the dealership that morning and got to see the car, Sales rep told me I could most likely get the delivery before Saturday.

June 10th - HONDA CANADA GETS HACKED! I called the dealership and they say they cant do any deliveries due to this hack.

TODAY (most pissed off about this) - I go in with a buddy of mine because the dealership called me and requested my previous ownership so they could transfer the plates.

I went in with the intentions of hopefully getting some more info on the details of the financing as well from the sales manager. I see the sales manager across the dealership and he gives me the peace sign because he recognizes me. When I go to reception and ask to speak with him they say "HE IS IN A MEETING AND CANT TALK TO YOU TODAY" Literal Avoidance

To add insult to injury - I asked my sales rep if I can get the keys to show the car to my friend and after waiting 10-15 min he said they lost my keys! LOL! wtf!

I'm not gonna expose the dealership name because this is my first time buying a type R and I'm not sure if this is normal process.

Do I have a bases to be upset on?
Do I have any rights?
What should I do/ask of my dealership?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Itsawgood

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si energy green
Country flag
Ill start by saying I fully understand that Covid 19 has changed the way dealerships operate but man oh man am I having a fun time with this Type R buying process.

My family has bought 4 Hondas within the last 3 years (not from this dealership) so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works and have been extremely satisfied with the way things went with those other Honda deals

jan 15th - Walked into my local Honda dealership (first time in this one) and inquired about returning my Lease on a Civic Hatch and rolling over the negative equity onto a 2020 type R. They appraised my hatch, made me an offer which I was given an extremely lowballed offer but understood because I am turning my hatch lease 3 years lease early.

Letting them know I was ok with the negative equity, they proceeded to order a 2020 type R for me and gave me an expected delivery date of April 2020. I made a deposit on the car that day and was excited for April to roll around.

Late March - Gave the dealership a call to see what the update was and how long my Type R would be delayed, They gave me a Honda order report which said my Car was delayed due to Covid and would arrive in-between May 8th-14th. Understood, walked away from the interaction a happy customer.

Early May -
Called the dealership to get updates on the car, the front reception would just give me the "Honda has paused all manufacturing due to covid 19, blah blah blah" I would reply by saying Ive already received a VIN from the dealership so my car has already been manufactured... reception obviously had no idea what she was talking about and didn't look into the situation at all.

Went into the dealership 2 or 3 times to talk to one of the people ive been in touch with (manager of finance) there regarding interest rates/finance vs lease.

1. Every time I went in I would be told to wait because people are "in meetings" and I would see the people I was asking to talk to walking around doing nothing lol...they would tell me to wait 25-30 min before I can talk to someone

2. When I finally got face to face with this finance manager (this happened atleast 2 times) he would try his best to shoo me away as soon as possible and leave me with the "we cant discuss any details about the deal until the car is here physically, Literally a waste of my time to drive all the way to the dealership and get no details in return.

June 9th - Car finally arrived! Great, I was willing to bypass everything and just be happy that my car arrived.

My sales rep calls me saying the car arrived, I asked if I could come work out the details of the deal and he said no because they still have to do some freight and PDI stuff. Ok, I asked "can I atleast come see the car?" He said yes 100%, I went to the dealership that morning and got to see the car, Sales rep told me I could most likely get the delivery before Saturday.

June 10th - HONDA CANADA GETS HACKED! I called the dealership and they say they cant do any deliveries due to this hack.

TODAY (most pissed off about this) - I go in with a buddy of mine because the dealership called me and requested my previous ownership so they could transfer the plates.

I went in with the intentions of hopefully getting some more info on the details of the financing as well from the sales manager. I see the sales manager across the dealership and he gives me the peace sign because he recognizes me. When I go to reception and ask to speak with him they say "HE IS IN A MEETING AND CANT TALK TO YOU TODAY" Literal Avoidance

To add insult to injury - I asked my sales rep if I can get the keys to show the car to my friend and after waiting 10-15 min he said they lost my keys! LOL! wtf!

I'm not gonna expose the dealership name because this is my first time buying a type R and I'm not sure if this is normal process.

Do I have any rights?
Go somewhere where they were appreciate your business

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
What do you mean they lost "your" keys? Have you paid for the car yet? Doesn't sound like it.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
How much of a Deposit did you put down on the Type R? Is it refundable?

Get that money back and discuss to the Manager at the dealership the treatment that you received. That you will be leaving a negative review, you just want to do business and be treated the way He would want to be treated in this case.

Do business with a dealer that wants your business, because clearly they don't express that you will be leaving negative reviews. Word of mouth is a powerful thing man....POINT them OUT i always say

OP
OP

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Bascially looked around for 15-20 min looking for the keys and comes up to me and my friend saying they cant find my keys.

I put a deposit on it back in Jan.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Get your money back

Lyttle

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Sounds like a terrible experience, I would personally take my business elsewhere if I could. I assume this "hack" is the reason I can't contact Honda Canada's toll free number/access any HFS stuff as well.

Jookmasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan, Pontiac, Suzuki
Country flag
Sounds like they don't want your business. If this is what most Canada dealers are doing, you may want to grab a car from the US and bring it back across the border.

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag

Early May -

Do I have any rights?
If you want I'm a little north of the city I can take care of you if this doesn't get sorted.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds like they don't want your business. If this is what most Canada dealers are doing, you may want to grab a car from the US and bring it back across the border.
Canada I would say is a lot better than USA for buying a type r. I know in Ontario theres no markup.

I traded in my SI for an R, haggled the price down a bit, got my car in a few days.

rwht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 (Incoming)
Country flag
There are few things I would do:

1. Retrieve your deposit
2. Leave a Google review documenting your experience
3. Figure out how to reach Honda Canada and escalate the problem regarding your experience

For the dealership to call you to visit only to give you a runaround and be denied service is something I'm sure Honda corporate would not tolerate, so hopefully that'll give you some leverage.

Itsawgood

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si energy green
Country flag
Bascially looked around for 15-20 min looking for the keys and comes up to me and my friend saying they cant find my keys.

I put a deposit on it back in Jan.
I promise you they didn't lose any keys there's something going on they don't want your business get out of there quick get your deposit back.
losing keys at the dealership is an old ploy back in the sixties and seventies to keep you around so you couldn't leave they swear they'd lose your car when you tried to trade it in. There's some dirty dirty dogs out there
Sponsored