Transmission Swap??

mrpaulrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Just bought a 2016 Civic from a bank repo. After the wrecker dropped off the car I noticed that the battery was dead. Went ahead a replaced battery, started the car and attempted to drive, only to find the car revving out while in drive and under acceleration. Figuring it's a transmission issue I removed driver side axle for further inspection only to find the gears inside all grinded off. (the wrecker guy pulling the car on and off the wrecker with the car in park may have damaged the gears).

Got a mechanic and he assured me it was the differential that got damaged and the rest of the transmission and gearing were all fine. So he went ahead removed the tranny and replaced the differential. Afterwards the car now goes into gear but picks up veerrryyy slowly and also doesn't change gears- car gets up the 70, 80 mph (thought it takes forever and revving like a mother..) but doesn't change out gears.

What I would like to know is- What could be the problem why it picks up so slowly? and why doesn't it change out gears. The same mechanic says it needs more transmission fluid, though it now has the recommended 4qt (Honda genuine).

At this time I'm beyond frustrated and thinking to just buy a used transmission and swap it out myself (with the manual and the right tools my brother and I could do this-by far no experts but we've swapped out a couples engines out of our old cars in the past). With this want to know is if this CVT transmission is a normal swap or would it need programming or any other type of work before its driveable?
Sponsored

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would complain at the bank about the car not telling you the car had problems

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Well first, it won't "change" gears because its a CVT transmission but it should lower the revs once you let off the throttle and start to cruise. And as for the problem itself, unless the bank specifically disclosed that the car has transmission issues or issues in general, then its up to them to rectify the situation because it isnt your fault. Any lights on the dash or error messages?

OP
OP

mrpaulrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
@jred721 It won’t change gear as traditional automatic trannys do, but you will see some inclination of a change if you floor it and keep an eyes on the rev clock.

Already called the bank and they are adamant that they sold me a car without issue and so the problem most be when I got the car. Which they are right of course.

Yes.. there’s a transmission warning on the dash, can’t remember the exact message, will look back at it later and confirm.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong but any damage done to the transmission by the tow truck driver moving the car while it is park wouldn't be visible unless you opened the transmission. It sounds to me that the damage you are seeing within the axle socket would have had to be done prior to the delivery of the repoed car. Furthermore isn't the differential built into the transmission of these cars? I think the car was towed by the rear wheels with the front wheels on the ground at some point and it also sounds like the mechanic didn't actually replace your differential. You probably just need to replace the CVT but most of the details here are unclear. Can you provide pictures?

OP
OP

mrpaulrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
No sorry i didn't take any pictures.

I'm just thinking to replace the CVT now and deal with the tow truck company and bank later. I'm without a car and this is really bugging me right now. What i want to know is if I go ahead and swap the tranny will it be a swap and go like a manual tranny or will I to need to reprogram the car's computer as well or better yet, what other work will i need to do to get this swapped tranny working as normal? I getting a used unit from a used parts shop for a good price and don't want to loose that deal.

Any good suggestions on the swap would be appreciated

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@mrpaulrich I am no expert but getting another CVT will be your best route. Putting in a manual trans would require a lot more parts and labor.

OP
OP

mrpaulrich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
No, no, no...Not thinking to replace with a manual..just asking if it's a swap-n-go like how they normally do in an older cars. I'm definitely thinking to go stock CVT for stock CVT. Just want to know if there are additional work required once everything has been bolted back up.

Can't afford to pay a shop to do the swap. Being that i'm kinda a grease monkey i could do this myself with help form my grease monkey brother :) Thanks

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, no, no...Not thinking to replace with a manual..just asking if it's a swap-n-go like how they normally do in an older cars. I'm definitely thinking to go stock CVT for stock CVT. Just want to know if there are additional work required once everything has been bolted back up.

Can't afford to pay a shop to do the swap. Being that i'm kinda a grease monkey i could do this myself with help form my grease monkey brother :) Thanks
Yes, just remove and replace, I did it with an entire wrecker engine.
Sponsored