The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Enzym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport CVT Polished Metal Metallic
Country flag
Gas quality is one of those things that can make or break your tuning experience. If you're seeing .89, that high knock control is killing your power. Does gas quality vary that much in Canada?
You are right, so far the experience I have had yes the gas varies a lot. (relying on the Knock control and the way the engine behaves of course.)

@Enzym IIRC, you're on the standard Phearable 1.5 not the R version, right? Which means you still have the stock high rpm knock control rise at 5,200 rpm. Meaning that every time you go high rpm you'll see a big jump in knock control no matter what gas you're using. Of course the worse the gas, the higher the jump.
Yes, the non R version. With good 91 I can do 2-3 big pulls in a row and the knock always goes back down to 0.49. Unfortunately I made a mistake by not buying the R revision, I told myself that I would make a few small pull once in a while but now i want to make several pull every time i got in the car lol.

I tried the Starter 21 PSI by deactivating artificial knock control rise and the knock did not go down, so that's why I tried the Stage 0. So I may have filled the tank full of ??&??&? 87 octane or 89 who know. I don't understand why it's not more regulated than that.

Yes it's frustrating as you say for the tune experience.
Sponsored

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 34,500

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5, IMW custom

Fuel used: 93 from anywhere

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra intake, PRL inlet pipe, PRL intercooler and piping, Vargas GC+ turbo upgrade, MAPerformance downpip, PRL frontpipe, Borla Type-S exhaust. KTuner V2, Eibach Pro lowering springs, Whiteline front and rear sway bar upgrades, RV6 Type R retrofit clutch and flywheel, Hasport RMM, PTP turbo blanket, downpipe heat wrap. Going with a TSP built block with BC rods and JE pistons. Installing a boundary oil pump, MAPerformance head stud kit. Also installing a PRL flex fuel kit.

Problems/issues:
Piston exploded inside of cylinder, presumably after rod threw and smashed into the spark plug.

Driving style: Very spirited, usually at least a pull every drive.

Tune experience notes: Car blew up unfortunately, partly my fault but also a tuning issue. I believe the car randomly spiked incredibly lean while driving up a bridge. I was about 5-6 revisions into my DRob tune, couldn't finish tune because I went off to college.

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_9946.jpg
Update, went to the shop and found out a bit more as to what caused the failure. The cylinder did not randomly blow up due to a fuel cut, it was a sustained fueling issue where 2 cylinders were not getting the gas they needed and overheated, warping the piston. The warped piston then began cutting into the cylinder wall, creating a massive notch. The piston then finally got caught and exploded.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This morning was one of those great boost moments. High 50's and no humidity The throttle was nice and jumpy. Too bad it isn't always like this. This summer it will be sluggish as hell. Lol
Actually I didn't have to wait that long. It's a steamy, humid 85 degrees now and yep, slug time! lol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update, went to the shop and found out a bit more as to what caused the failure. The cylinder did not randomly blow up due to a fuel cut, it was a sustained fueling issue where 2 cylinders were not getting the gas they needed and overheated, warping the piston. The warped piston then began cutting into the cylinder wall, creating a massive notch. The piston then finally got caught and exploded.
Fueling issue as in a failed fuel pump maybe?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
probably a long term tune issue, i haven’t gotten any recall notices in the mail, although i did buy used from carmax. it’s a 2020
So if it wasn't a mechanical issue that lead to this was it the way fueling was set up on your tune? Or do you think things were previously happening with the original owner's setup?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You are right, so far the experience I have had yes the gas varies a lot. (relying on the Knock control and the way the engine behaves of course.)

Yes it's frustrating as you say for the tune experience.
Keep in mind that it's always recommended to buy gas from a busy station with a lot of turnover. The fresher the gas, the less chance of a bad batch.

It's strange. And this is something I've seen since I started my own car forum way back in 2002. Canadian owners always had issues with getting consistently good gas depending on where they lived. Why, I don't know but it does seem to be the case.

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
So if it wasn't a mechanical issue that lead to this was it the way fueling was set up on your tune? Or do you think things were previously happening with the original owner's setup?
previous owner had kept it bone stock, this is purely a tune issue. i think fuel trims weren’t set correctly and just slowly made the issue worse. might be a fuel pump issue but i don’t think it would be

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Berserk_FC3 The reason I asked is I know D-Rob tuned the car and he's really good. Just one other question (sorry to be a pain)...

Did your trim numbers look good on your logs and such prior to this?

Side note: I'll update the separate failures thread with the updated info you posted. It's really important info. Unfortunately many people that post about their failures don't follow up like you did. Thanks again.
Sponsored

Last edited: